Mark Bates - Fundraising
“Volunteering for Sight Support Derbyshire gives me the opportunity to help people with a visual impairment in my community, whilst the experience helps me to gain new skills and make new friendships.”
Eileen Eyre - (Home Visiting):
“The man I go to visit, I enjoy going to see him, I always have”
“I’m always very pleased with the voluntary work I do, it makes me happy”
Sheila Ann Methven - (Telephone Befriender):
“You get nice feedback and it gets you out. I’ve been doing it for 13 years because I enjoy it”
“It’s a nice talking point, and you know you’re doing a world of good”
Trevor Gyngel - (Help Desk):
“It’s good to know you’re making a positive contribution towards helping others”
“I enjoy it, It’s fulfilling, and a nice thing to keep doing despite being retired"
Sight Support Derbyshire is a user led charity that relies on the support of our volunteers. With around 300 volunteers working in every area, they are a crucial part of our team. Without our volunteers we would not be able to provide services and support to over 4500 members across Derbyshire. Each volunteering role provides a different and rewarding experience for both the volunteer and the member.
You can volunteer in a range of different roles including the ones below.
- Home Visiting
- Telephone Befriending
- Children and Young Peoples Services
- Hospital Eye Clinics
- Office and Administration
- Leisure Activities
- Mobile Resource Centre
- Community Champions
We support our volunteers
- Training and Support: Relevant training will be given and a member of staff will give you support and will meet with you on a regular basis to discuss your personal progress.
- Expenses: Out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed in line with the charity’s expenses policy.
- Before you start: Before starting it will be necessary to provide the names of two people who can provide a reference. There will also be an Enhanced CRB check.
Read about our volunteers' celebration events in June 2015 here.
For further details on how you can volunteer please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01332 292262.
We are grateful to Foundation Derbyshire for their generous support towards our volunteers.
If you would like this information in any other format including large print, audio transcription or Braille please contact us.